While enjoying a nice cold beer at a sports grill or barbecue is a favorite choice for many, wine is an option many forget about in the sports bar environment. Wine has a variety of different flavors and notes running throughout that can be paired well with everything ranging from barbecue to dessert.
There is a wine that will fit every tasty dish and dessert. Whether your next meal is at a sports grill or your home, choose a delicious wine that will compliment your dish. When making your pairing decisions you will want to follow a few easy steps that are easy to remember.
- Spicy Food – Riesling goes well spicy foods like hot wings.
- Salty Food – Crisp wine balances salty flavors.
- Citrus – Match similar flavors. If your meal has lemon sauce or other citrus flavors, Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc have citrus notes running throughout the wine and will pair beautifully.
- Heavy Sauces – Cream sauces are ideal with Pinot Noir and Chardonnay.
- Red Sauces – Tomato based sauces and meat sauces are the perfect match with Cabernet and Merlot.
- Dessert – Matching the same sweetness level to the dessert is ideal.
For those who are cautious about gaining weight from consuming beer, wine will be an alternative that will provide amazing benefits. Red wine specifically has a polyphenol called resveratrol, which is a key ingredient in red wine that helps lower cholesterol, reduce the risk of heart disease, regulate blood sugar levels and prevent the growth of fat cells. The next time you are ready to order a beer with your meal, remember that red wine will help keep you slim compared to beer.
In addition to the health benefits and easy pairing solutions, wine can bring out hidden flavors in your food that you didn’t realize existed. When having a glass of red or white wine with food, you can suddenly start tasting specific herbs, fruit and savory flavors that you never experienced before. So give it a try; pair a delicious wine with your next meal and enjoy a combination of amazing flavors that’ll give your meal something extra special.